- Youth volunteers engage in some ‘prayerful pollwatching’Posted 3 days ago
- I found the surest way to Jesus!Posted 9 days ago
- Davao youth animators gather for workshopPosted 11 days ago
- More than a thousand individuals consecrated to Mary Mediatrix during pilgrimagePosted 12 days ago
- ‘Social Networks: portals of truth and faith; new spaces for evangelization.’Posted 20 days ago
- Fun run? Why not a ‘runway’ benefit run?Posted 23 days ago
- 9th John Paul II confab focuses on youth as agents of New EvangelizationPosted 23 days ago
- Dominican Youth holds lectures on Year of Faith, leadership trainingPosted 23 days ago
- Listen without judgment, bishop reminds youthPosted 23 days ago
- Novaliches youth organize electoral formationPosted 23 days ago
Good or bad social media?
Social media is now the most popular past time. It is not a corrupt mechanism – or even worse — an evil of our times — that destroys the cultural aspect of humanity. It is something that we have to embrace as we continue to live in this modern and evolving world. We cannot go back in time, so let us feel welcome in the virtual world.
Facebook and Twitter are the most commonly used social media websites. The question remains, is it being used for the good of others? Or is it merely used to destroy? Sadly, they are misused. There are cases when social media is used to hurt others.
People become very arrogant, conceited and insensitive online. The reason: people can be who they want to be in the virtual world. They can hide from real persons when communicating simply because they are not physically present. In this case, the identity of the person becomes a lie. The person’s authenticity is diminished.
Evangelization through social media is one of the best ways to proclaim God’s words. With the nearing sainthood of Blessed Pedro Calungsod, let us be inspired by how he was able to evangelize people in his time. If Blessed Pedro happens were alive today and considering the modernization that we have, no doubt that he would consider social media as one of the means to evangelize people. Brothers and sisters, God is inviting us to be Pedro in today’s generation. Advances in technology are fast-paced. But let us remember, as followers of Christ, the real world should always be directed according to the Christian way of life. It is our challenge to Christianize the virtual world and let others feel the presence of God in their lives. [James Briann Morga]