- Hundred youth join annual parish sports festPosted 1 min ago
- Antipolo holds sports fest for social growth, youth fellowshipPosted 3 mins ago
- Youth volunteers engage in some ‘prayerful pollwatching’Posted 9 days ago
- I found the surest way to Jesus!Posted 15 days ago
- Davao youth animators gather for workshopPosted 17 days ago
- More than a thousand individuals consecrated to Mary Mediatrix during pilgrimagePosted 18 days ago
- ‘Social Networks: portals of truth and faith; new spaces for evangelization.’Posted 26 days ago
- Fun run? Why not a ‘runway’ benefit run?Posted 29 days ago
- 9th John Paul II confab focuses on youth as agents of New EvangelizationPosted 29 days ago
- Dominican Youth holds lectures on Year of Faith, leadership trainingPosted 29 days ago
Pope remembers JP II’s 7th death anniversary with WYD delegates
VATICAN CITY, April 9, 2012—Pope Benedict XVI addressed a group of young pilgrims during the death anniversary of his predecessor, Blessed John Paul II, who is notably remembered for initiating the World Youth Day (WYD) celebration.
The Holy Father was visited by a group of some 5,000 young people from the Archdiocese of Madrid in Spain, led by their archbishop Cardinal Antonio Maria Rouco Varela, and representatives of other countries who attended the last WYD last April 2, which marked the seventh death anniversary of Blessed John Paul II.
The group was in Rome for a post evaluation of the WYD held in Madrid last August and a transition meeting with representatives of the Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, which will be hosting the WYD next year.
Fr. Conegundo Garganta of the CBCP Episcopal Commission on Youth and Maria Victoria Tacderas of the National Secretariat for Youth Apostolate attended the gathering to represent the Filipino participants of the last WYD.
The Pope said the youth is “the protagonists and principal recipients of [World Youth Day,] this pastoral initiative vigorously stimulated by my beloved predecessor, Blessed John Paul II, of whom today we remember his transit to Heaven.”
The Supreme Pontiff said the 26th WYD in Madrid was unforgettable, “that marvelous encounter can only be understood in the light of the presence of the Holy Spirit in the Church.”
He rallied the WYD pilgrims to “bear witness to God’s woders.”
“You are called to cooperate in this edifying task. Christ needs you at His side to extend and build His Kingdom of charity,” the Pope said.
The Holy Father urged the youth to never cease in asking themselves “what the Lord is calling you to do, and how you can help Him.”
“Each of you has a personal vocation which He has given you for your own joy and sanctity. When a person is conquered by the fire of His gaze, no sacrifice seems too great to follow Him and give Him the best of ourselves,” Benedict XVI said.
“This is what the saints have always done, spreading the light of the Lord and transforming the world into a welcoming home for everyone,” he added. (YouthPinoy)